Using this Guide
To navigate the guide, click on the tab for the subject you are interested in to view recommended links. Note that while suggested sites are listed under particular subjects, many sites cover other topics that might be of interest. For example, Khan Academy, which is listed under "Science, Technology, & Math" also covers other fields, such as history.
One of the main problems with using the Internet to do research is knowing whether the site you are looking at is useful and trustworthy. Every webpage you consider needs to be evaluated for the following criteria:
- Authority (Who created or sponsored the site?)
- Accuracy (Is the information correct and/or supported with credible evidence?)
- Objectivity (Does the site have an agenda or bias?)
- Currency (Is the information up to date?)
- Coverage (How much information is available?)
This guide lists websites, grouped by subject, that have been evaluated for these criteria and have been determined to be both useful and trustworthy. However, you should always evaluate each website for yourself. Also, please be aware that any external sites that an evaluated web page links to have probably NOT been evaluated.
Technical Services and Outreach Librarian
VGCC Main Campus